Saturday, February 5, 2011

And the Winners for the Writers Guild Are...

Aaron Sorkin for his adapted screenplay The Social Network and Christopher Nolan for his original script Inception!


Popular scripts of the season including The King's Speech by David Seidler, Another Year by Mike Leigh, Winter's Bone by Debra Granik and Anne Rossellini, and Toy Story 3 by Michael Arndt were ineligible under guild rules.

This was a particularly exciting recognition for Nolan who has only been nominated for a WGA award for his writing of The Dark Knight but has never won before.  "Nothing is more important than recognition from my peers. There were some notables left off the list this year." Nolan said.  "I'm not going to name them, for fear that it boosts their chances at the other show. (the Oscars) I hope next year the person who stands up here can give thanks without qualification."

Sorkin has been recognized by the Guild many times for his television writing, and even won once for his contribution to The West Wing.  "You can imagine how I feel to get recognition like this," Sorkin said. "I wrote a good screenplay, but David Fincher made a great movie."
  

3 comments:

  1. I was so excited about this!! Obviously I'm obsessed with "The Social Network" script, but I loved "Inception" too. I thought these were very well earned, definitely aspirational writers. Nolan's creativity seems so organic, really refreshing in my opinion. And Sorkin's grasp on storytelling and dialogue is so impressive. I get that his dialogue is snappy and witty (The West Wing taught us this), but what is it about his structure? (Not rhetorical, answers welcome!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always very impressed by Sorkin. I think he writes incredibly well, and his transition from TV to film was so seamless that it really made me broaden my view beyond film and start learning and appreciating more of the TV aspect of entertainment.
    Nolan too, has always been inspiring, as his world is always so bizarre, yet feels so real on the page and on the screen. It is great that two such writers were recognized by their fellow writers, proof that Im not alone in admiring their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How humble of Sorkin. Esquire did this cool thing for their New Years edition where they interviewed a bunch of notable Hollywood people and took their best excerpts from the interview i.e. advice. Sorkin's was awesome.

    Also Go Into The Story posted some good stuff Sorkin had also written and some interviews as well

    ReplyDelete